I made this recipe at home and my family loved it. So, I decided to have my Nutrition and Foods class make it as well. The recipe got rave reviews. One boy even said, "I thought I didn't like broccoli, but this tastes really good!"
Beef and Broccoli
1. Sauté beef, ginger and garlic powder in a skillet over medium-high heat until meat is browned.
2. In a bowl, mix sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch, sesame oil, pepper flakes and water.
3. Add sauce to beef and cook for 5 minutes. Add broccoli and cook until tender.
4. Serve over cooked bulgur.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try "Baked Tofu" instead of beef.
After making this recipe many times at home and at cooking workshops with groups, I recommend the doubling the sauce part of the recipe. This leaves enough sauce to flavor the brown rice that we serve this with.
Ok, I have now successfully used this recipe with my slow cooker twice. I have lots of round steak in the freezer so I cut about 1.5 pounds round steak into strips or cubes, double the sauce and place it all in my slow cooker. I cook this on high for about 4.5 hours, then add an entire bag of frozen broccoli florets that are steamed in the microwarve for about 5 minutes, and turn the slow cooker to low for about 1/2 hour more. During that last 1/2 hour, I make brown rice on the stove top (parboiled for quick cooking) and dinner is served! I also replace the chili flakes with about 1 tsp of sriracha; some of us add more sriracha when we dish up our own bowls.
Our family LOVES this recipe! Its so tasty! We have made it with ground beef and also tofu. AND we often pull out the sauce recipe and use it in stir fry with whatever veggies, protein and grain we have on hand.