1 teaspoon vegetable oil
½ cup chopped onion (about 1/2 medium)
1 can (31 ounces) white or yellow hominy, drained and rinsed, or 2 cans (15.5 ounces each)
1 can (7 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained, or 2 cans (4 ounces each)
1 cup nonfat sour cream
1 teaspoon chili powder
⅛ teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet). Add onion and cook until tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in hominy, green chiles, sour cream, chili powder and pepper. Add half of the cheese and mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium (300 degrees F in an electric skillet). Cover and cook until heated through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cover and cook until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try with different types of grated or crumbled cheese.
I have never had hominy before so this was an experiment! I foung out that hominy is delicious! I really appreciated the creamy texture and the loads of flavor in this dish.
This is truely delicious and a great comfort food!
100% fav Food Hero recipe!! And I love that it uses an ingredient that is low cost and I hadn't used before. I couldn't belive from the taste that it was really healthy?!?! It is a comfort food as another commentor mentioned. I had to look at the nutrition info, and yes it really is healthy, low fat, and a good source of calcium, A and C!! I will make this again and again!!
This was my first time trying hominy and I loved the spicy flavior. This recipe was a hit with everyone!