4 cups water
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or 3/4 teaspoons of garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 cup quick brown rice, uncooked
1 can (14.5 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
1 package (16 ounces) frozen, sliced okra
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, combine the water, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add rice, beans, tomato sauce and okra. Simmer uncovered for 8 to10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add liquid as needed for the thickness you want.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute 2 cups cooked rice for the quick rice and reduce water by 1 cup.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
The chili powder gave the stew a little snap that I really appreciated (I added extra to really give it some zing)!