A quick and satisfying meal that uses English muffins topped with melted cheddar cheese.
1 can (5 ounces) tuna in water, drained
¼ cup chopped celery (about 1 stalk)
1 green onion, sliced
½ cup grated carrot
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 whole-wheat English muffins
½ cup (2 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
- Wash hands in soap and water.
- In a small bowl, mix tuna, celery, onion, carrot, mayonnaise and pepper.
- Top each muffin half with tuna mixture and grated cheese.
- Broil until cheese melts, about 3 minutes
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours
- No tuna? Use canned or cooked salmon or mackerel.
Sherman Extension used this recipe as part of the Sherman School SKORE afterschool program fall 2019. The youth, grades 1-5, had already made a basic grilled tuna sandwich a week prior. This Tuna Veggie Melt was fun for the youth to prepare, as it involved a lot of chopping and cutting, but most of the children were not very happy to see so many vegetables mixed in with the tuna! They grudgingly prepared the sandwiches but only a few, in the class of 10, were willing to actually try the sandwiches...which were pronounced "pretty good" by those brave enough to taste test. This recipe might be more appreciated by teens or adults who want to incorporate more veggies into their meals.