Print Recipe Color
Southern Okra Bean Stew
- In a large pot, combine the water, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add rice, beans, tomato sauce and okra. Simmer uncovered for 8 to10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add liquid as needed for the thickness you want.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute 2 cups cooked rice for the quick rice and reduce water by 1 cup.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.