My husband and I really enjoy this recipe! I add cayenne pepper to give it some heat and extra cumin. I have made this twice now, once with white rice and once with brown. We strongly preferred the brown rice version and were pleased because it's healthier that way!
- Add mushrooms or green bell peppers for variety.
- If you like spicy food, add some cayenne pepper or chili powder.
- Try brown rice and simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- Try adding cilantro on top for more flavor.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet); sauté sausage and onion until onion is clear.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.