Print Recipe Color
Rice with Black Beans and Sausage
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
8 ounces low-fat polish kielbasa sausage, cut into small pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup uncooked rice
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups water
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet); cook sausage and onion until onion is clear.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low. Cover the skillet and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add mushrooms or green bell peppers for variety.
- If you like spicy food, add some cayenne pepper or chili powder.
- Try brown rice and simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- Try adding cilantro on top for more flavor.