I never realized homemade refried beans could be so easy! I like mine spicy, so I use cumin and chili powder or cayenne pepper.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse canned beans to reduce sodium.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is soft.
- Mash beans and cumin into onion mixture in skillet. Use a potato masher or back of a spoon.
- Add reserved liquid or water (1 Tablespoon or more) until the mixture reaches the thickness you want.
- Cook and stir until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.