Harissa Spice Mix
1 ½ teaspoons cayenne pepper (or any red chile powder with the heat level you like)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika (mild or hot)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground caraway seed
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Use with Harissa Roasted Butternut Squash or to season any roasted vegetables. Add harissa to sauces, soups and stews. Add any type of vegetable oil to make a paste for roasting poultry, meats or tofu.
- No cayenne pepper? Make your own by grinding whole red chiles or crushed red pepper flakes in a blender or with a mortar and pestle.
- No ground caraway seed? Make your own by grinding whole caraway seed in a blender or with a mortar and pestle.
- Try using whole cumin and coriander seeds. Toast the seeds in a small pan until they warm and begin to smell. Let the seeds cool, then grind in a blender or with a mortar and pestle.