3 cups chopped broccoli (fresh)
1 medium carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
½ cup raisins
¼ cup chopped onion
1 cup diced cooked protein (ham, chicken, turkey or tofu)
¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
½ cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vinegar
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large bowl, mix together broccoli, carrot, celery, raisins, onion and protein.
- In a separate bowl, mix together mayonnaise, yogurt, sugar and vinegar.
- Add mayonnaise mixture to salad and mix well.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try adding apples or jicama.
- You can use dried cranberries instead of raisins.
- This salad can be prepared the day before and stored in the refrigerator.
Salad had a nice mix of savory and sweet.
This salad is fabulous! Even people who don't like raw brocooli love it! I make it all the time!
Another great Food Hero salad! We substituted peas for the meat. And we made extras for the next nights dinner so we didn't dress all of the salad the first night. Also this salad was the perfect side dish to go with the Food Hero Cheesy Polenta Pie!
This salad is one of my favorites; I even eat it for breakfast at times:) I always use broccoli as the base, but you can substitute almost any raw vegetables that you like for the carrots and celery. I have also added cooked kamut or wheat berries to the salad and enjoyed that as well. Yum!
This was a real hit with a group of 3rd and 4th graders. Only 25 out of a group of 126 didn't like it yet, and most not only liked it, they loved it!