1½ cups flour (all-purpose, whole-wheat or a combination)
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup diced rhubarb (fresh or frozen and thawed)
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
4. In a medium bowl, mix together brown sugar, egg, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir in rhubarb.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix.
6. Divide the mixture between muffin cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan after a few minutes of cooling.
7. Store muffins in a closed container for up to two days at room temperature or a week in the refrigerator.
• If using frozen rhubarb, measure when mostly frozen. After thawing, add rhubarb and extra juice to wet ingredients.
I have made this recipe twice now and will definitely make these again. I made them first with half whole wheat, half all-purpose flour. The second time, I did the same half/half flour combination - and also did 1/2 cup drained diced canned peaches with 1/2 cup rhubarb, and used 1/4 cup sparkling water instead of an egg. They were delicious both times! Yummy light texture, nice sweet taste with pops of tartness from the rhubarb.
This recipe is super tasty! I used whole wheat flour. The rhubarb was just the right amount of sweet, and I made mini muffins and cooked them for 11 min.