1½ cups flour (all-purpose, whole-wheat or a combination)
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup diced rhubarb (fresh or frozen and thawed)
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
4. In a medium bowl, mix together brown sugar, egg, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir in rhubarb.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix.
6. Divide the mixture between muffin cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan after a few minutes of cooling.
7. Store muffins in a closed container for up to two days at room temperature or a week in the refrigerator.
• If using frozen rhubarb, measure when mostly frozen. After thawing, add rhubarb and extra juice to wet ingredients.