A great way to use lentils and super low cost dinner! Was easy too, and i got it cooking first and then had the perfect amout of time to prep the rest of the meal - we made tostadas. I put a layer of lentils down on the tostada first and then topped with beans and cheese and veggie, and the kids ate every bite...
Lentil Taco Filling
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and cilantro/oregano (if using). Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, 20 to 30 minutes for brown lentils, Add water if necessary to keep the lentils just covered with liquid.
- Uncover; cook until mixture thickens and most of the water is gone, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use for tacos, wraps or salad.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
A great vegetarian dish to have for several nights of varied uses.