Submitted by tierrabonita on Fri, 09/18/2020 - 02:37
Rich and creamy root vegetables, flavored with tangy parmesan cheese and topped with crunchy breadcrumbs.
½ cup finely diced onion
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons flour
1 ⅓ cups 1% or nonfat milk
2 ⅓ cups thinly sliced potatoes
1 cup thinly sliced turnips
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
4 teaspoons butter or margarine
2 Tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven tp 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking dish
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions in 1 Tablespoon margarine until softened.
- Stir in salt, garlic powder, pepper, and flour until smooth. Add milk slowly, stirring rapidly to avoid lumps. Stir constantly until the sauce bubbles and thickens slightly. Remove from heat .
- Place mixed potatoes and turnips in layers in the baking dish.
- Pour sauce over the potato mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Melt 2 teaspoons butter; mix with the dry bread crumbs and sprinkle evenly over top.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the bread crumbs have browned. Potatoes and turnips should be tender when poked with a fork.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try making with sliced parsnips instead of turnips.