Potato Turnip Gratin
½ cup onion, finely diced
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons flour
1 ⅓ cups nonfat or 1% milk
2 ⅓ cups potatoes, sliced thinly
1 cup turnips, sliced thinly
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
4 teaspoons butter or margarine
2 Tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions in 1 Tablespoon margarine until softened.
- Stir in salt, garlic powder, pepper, and flour until smooth. Add milk slowly, stirring rapidly to avoid lumps. Stir constantly until the sauce bubbles and thickens slightly. Remove from heat .
- Place mixed potatoes and turnips in layers in a lightly oiled or sprayed baking dish.
- Pour sauce over the potato mixture; sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Melt 2 teaspoons butter; mix with the dry bread crumbs and sprinkle evenly over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the bread crumbs have browned. Potatoes and turnips should be tender when poked with a fork.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try making with sliced parsnips instead of turnips.