3 cups sliced carrots (6 to 8 fresh, 16 ounces frozen, or two cans,14.5 ounce each)
2 teaspoons margarine or butter
2 teaspoons honey or brown sugar (see Notes)
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon seasoning (optional, see Notes)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook carrots until they are very soft.
Fresh - Steam or boil.
Frozen - Follow package directions or microwave, steam or boil.
Canned - Drain and rinse. Add a small amount of water and heat in a saucepan or in the microwave.
- Drain carrots if needed. Put carrots in a medium bowl. Mash with a fork until smooth.
- Stir in butter, honey, salt and pepper. Add seasoning if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Honey is not recommended for children under 1 year old.
- Add your favorite seasoning! Try one of these: chili powder, curry powder, onion powder, thyme or dried sage.
I had some extra fresh carrots on hand. Ordinarily I would have roasted them but decided to boil and mash instead. I added 1 teaspoon of honey, chili powder and some of the cooking water to get to the right consistency. I will do this again; thanks for the inspiration!