I made this recipe for a lunchroom tasting this week and the kids LOVED it! They all wanted seconds! Because I was making it for such a large quantity (350 students) I opted to use unsweetened applesauce and canned cranberry sauce. Based on the suggestion in the notes, I ommitted the sugar. The color was still beautiful and it tasted great warm or cold. I would definitely make this again!
- When frozen or fresh cranberries are not available, substitute canned cranberry sauce for the cranberries and brown sugar. Add 1 can (14 ounces) of cranberry sauce to the saucepan after the mixture has been simmering for about 15 minutes.
- For a smooth texture, puree in batches in a regular blender, using the manufacturer's directions for pureeing hot liquids.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Mash to a thickness you like with a potato masher or fork.. Serve warm or cold.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.