Submitted by tierrabonita on Mon, 11/23/2020 - 12:14
A kid-approved bright and flavorful take on traditional applesauce.
8 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 cup water
1 ½ cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Mash to a thickness you like with a potato masher or fork.. Serve warm or cold.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- When frozen or fresh cranberries are not available, substitute canned cranberry sauce for the cranberries and brown sugar. Add 1 can (14 ounces) of cranberry sauce to the saucepan after the mixture has been simmering for about 15 minutes.
- For a smooth texture, puree in batches in a regular blender, using the manufacturer's directions for pureeing hot liquids.