1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
3 slices whole-grain bread
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup raisins
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 ¼ cups nonfat or 1% milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Butter bread and cut into small cubes.
- Combine buttered and cubed bread, brown sugar and raisins in a one-quart microwave safe dish. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup, blend together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, salt and vanilla.
- Heat on HIGH for 2 to 3 minutes until hot, but not boiling.
- Pour over bread mixture and lightly blend together.
- Microwave the dish uncovered at 50% power for 5 to 8 minutes, or until edges are firm and the center is almost set.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Serve with low-fat vanilla or lemon yogurt.
A must try...
This is a tasty recipe, but it took about twice the time listed to cook. The middle needed to be cooked longer than the edges to fully be done.
Thanks for sharing that you found this recipe to be tasty. And also for letting us know that the cooking time posted wasn't enough for you. It sounds like you were able to adjust accordingly, but we will also add this recipe to our list for re-testing using microwaves of different wattages. We also plan to adjust the bread ingredient to specify 'cups' of bread rather than slices, since the amount of actual bread used can also affect the cooking time. We hope you'll continue to prepare Food Hero recipes!
We used this recipe as a food demo at a local food pantry. They did not have a microwave on site; we altered the recipe by making it in a 8x10 casserole dish. We tore pieces of day old bread and followed the recipe. We baked it at 350 for 30 minutes. We also prepared it in the skillet for the food demo on 300 for about 25 minutes. You can also add fresh fruit or dried fruit (bits of peeled apples and blueberries is a great combo) to the mixture instead of raisins.Everyone raved about this dish!
I can only express a word of thanks! Nothing else. Because your topic is nice, you can add knowledge. Thank you very much for sharing this information.
indian groceries online