4 English muffins
¼ cup finely minced onion
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 ½ teaspoons vegetable oil
½ pound asparagus, trimmed and sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch rounds
½ teaspoon ground thyme, oregano or basil
1 ½ teaspoons vinegar (any type)
1 dash each salt and pepper
¾ cup (3 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Toast muffin halves and place on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion and mushrooms in oil, stirring often, until just beginning to brown.
- Add asparagus, thyme and vinegar. Sauté, stirring often, until asparagus is barely tender. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Divide the vegetable mixture equally onto the muffin halves. Top each muffin with shredded cheese.
- Broil muffins until the cheese melts. Watch carefully to avoid burning.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- To trim asparagus, remove the tough bottom 1 to 1 1/2 inch of the stalk.
- No English muffins? Serve over a whole grain such as brown rice or bulgur.
I needed a side dish for dinner and I had asparagus and mushrooms in the firdge that needed to be used up. I found this recipe and followed it except for adding the english muffin. It was very good! I recommend it with or without the muffin.
This makes a tasty lunch or snack. We had this prepared by a local caterer for a meeting and it went over very well.