Submitted by Lydia Bowman on Thu, 01/14/2021 - 17:28
A warm and comforting combination of whole wheat, sweet potatoes, warm spices, and tangy orange make these muffins perfect for breakfast or a snack.
⅔ cup all-purpose flour
⅔ cup whole-wheat flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¾ cup mashed sweet potatoes (cooked from fresh or canned and drained)
⅓ cup packed brown sugar
⅔ cup orange juice
¼ cup grated carrot
¾ teaspoon vanilla
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease muffin tins for 12 muffins.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, combine sweet potatoes, brown sugar, eggs, orange juice, carrots and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients. Stir gently until flour is moistened.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake 20 minutes or until tops are browned and bounce back when touched lightly in the center.
- Cool 5 minutes and loosen around the edge of each muffin to remove from tins.
- Cool completely then store in an air-tight container at room temperature.
- Add 2 teaspoons orange zest for even more orange flavor. Grate or peel and chop the colored part of the orange peel only. Freeze extra zest for up to 3 months.
- No orange juice? Use pineapple juice.
- No sweet potatoes? Use canned or frozen and thawed pumpkin purée.