Submitted by sydney429 on Mon, 04/06/2020 - 09:02
Perfect kid-approved, make-ahead snack with fresh or frozen berries.
1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
⅓ cup vegetable oil
⅓ cup nonfat or 1% milk
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, mix the oil, egg, milk and applesauce until smooth.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture until just moistened. Lightly stir in the blueberries.
- Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until the muffin tops are golden brown. A toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin should come out moist but without batter.
- To avoid rancid whole wheat flour, store it in a container or bag that keeps the air sealed out. Keep in a cool dark area for up to 3 months or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Buy amounts that you can use within those lengths of time.
- A gravy ladle or large liquid measuring cup are great tools for pouring muffin batter into tins.
- To use sweetened applesauce, remove about 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar from the measured amount.
- To bake as a bread, use a greased 8- or 9-inch bread pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes.
- No whole-wheat flour? Replace with all-purpose flour.
- Replace blueberries with another fruit. Try diced apples with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, fresh or frozen cranberries with 1 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, or diced bananas.