2 cups nonfat or 1% milk or water
1 cup quick cooking or old fashioned rolled oats
⅛ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- Rinse the apple, remove the core and cut into small chunks (about 1 ½ cups).
- Bring the water or milk to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add the oatmeal, salt and apple chunks. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute if using quick cooking oats or 7 to 10 minutes if using old fashioned rolled oats. Stir a couple times while cooking.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg, if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- To increase the apple flavor, use apple juice for all or part of the water. Mixing apple juice with milk may cause milk to curdle.
- Add bite-size dried fruit pieces like raisins, apricots or cranberries in step 3, or sprinkle on top when serving.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts on top when serving.
Recipe adapted from Nutrition Matters.
I like apples more crunchy, so I added them after the cereal was cooked. The crunch was a nice contrast to the soft, smooth cereal texture, and oh so yummy!