Absolutely love this recipe, so refreshing and delicious!
- Try basil or dill (dry or fresh) instead of cilantro. Use ¼ to 1/3 cup of dried herbs because they are more concentrated in flavor.
- Add more color with yellow or purple cauliflower.
- Serve with tostadas, tortilla chips or crackers.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 3 to 4 green onions, finely chopped, or ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped or ¼ cup red salsa
- 2 lemons or limes, squeezed for juice (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 small (or ½ medium) head of cauliflower, cut or broken into large florets
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons garlic powder or 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado, chopped (optional)
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the cucumber, onion, jalapeño and lemon or lime juice. Set aside for 5 minutes.
3. Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Place the cauliflower in the boiling water for 2 minutes to make it a little tender. To do this in the microwave, put the cauliflower and 1 Tablespoon water in a microwave-safe dish with a cover and cook on HIGH for about 2 minutes.
4. Drain and rinse the cauliflower in ice-cold water. Chop into small pieces and add to the bowl of other vegetables.
5. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the avocado. Stir to mix well.
6. Add the avocado just before serving, if desired.
7. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.