1 pound fresh green beans
¼ cup finely chopped onion
¼ cup chopped ham
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil, margarine or butter
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Snap or cut ends off the green beans, if desired, and rinse the beans in water.
- Place the green beans in a pan of boiling water over medium high heat. Cover and cook beans for 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the water.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and ham. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked green beans and 1/4 cup water to the skillet. Stir and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Photo and recipe adapted from Nutrition Matters.
We are picking green beans from our garden now and looking for easy ways to fix them. This recipe was used last night and I will do this more often because it was very simple. I like boiling the beans first and then finishing in the skillet for more even cooking and no 'squeak.' I won't always use ham and will likely add different seasonings to fit with other dishes. Thanks!