- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, molasses or honey (see Notes)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low fat buttermilk
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x5-inch bread pan.
- in a large bowl, mix together flours, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add buttermilk and stir until mixed.
- Pour mixture into the bread pan and smooth into the corners.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cool about 5 minutes and remove from the pan. Cool at least 15 minutes more before cutting. Enjoy warm.
- Wrap leftovers and store at room temperature.
- No buttermilk? Add enough milk to 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar to make 2 cups. Stir well and let stand 5 minutes.
- If using honey or molasses, mix with the buttermilk before stirring into the dry ingredients.
- Honey is not recommended for children under 1 year old.
- This recipe was inspired by Colonial Brown Bread, found in the children's book From Wheat to Bread by Kristin Thoennes Keller.