Make colorful, easy and delicious tortillas with added vegetables. Enjoy with your favorite toppings!
1 cup all-purpose flour (see Notes)
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
¼ cup cooked and finely chopped or mashed spinach, beet or sweet potato (fresh, frozen or canned)
¼ cup water (saved from cooking vegetables, if possible)
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Measure flour, salt and red pepper flakes, if desired, into a medium bowl. Mix together.
- Add the vegetable of your choice, water and oil to the bowl. Mix well. If the dough seems wet and sticky, add 1 to 1 1/2 Tablespoons more flour.
- Move the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes. Return dough to bowl, cover, and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 balls about the same size.
- Flatten the balls into a 6- to 8-inch round with a previously floured hand, dish, or a rolling pin. Make sure the surface you press them on is also lightly floured.
- Heat a dry skillet over medium heat (350 to 375 degrees F in an electric skillet). Add tortilla and cook until it browns a little, about 1-2 minutes. Turn over and cook for about 1-2 minutes. Turn again on the other side and cook until lightly brown.
- You can replace half the all-purpose flour with whole-wheat flour or masa harina (corn).
- Have other leftover vegetables? Try using them in this recipe.
- Try adding other herbs or spices, such as cumin or oregano.
Thanks to the OSU Extension Latinx Workgroup for this recipe.