Pozole with Chicken
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can (10 ounces) red chile sauce or 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce + 2 to 4 Tablespoons chili powder
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 can (15 ounces) hominy, drained and rinsed (1 ¾ cup)
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
Shredded cabbage or lettuce, sliced radishes, chopped onion, lime juice, chopped cilantro, chopped or sliced avocado
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, sauté onion in oil until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the chile sauce, broth, cumin, oregano and hominy to the onion and bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in the chicken and heat through, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon into shallow bowls and add toppings as desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- A rotisserie chicken makes this recipe quick to fix.
- No red chile sauce? You can also use 1 1/4 cups enchilada sauce.
Thanks to the OSU Extension Latin Heritage Workgroup for this recipe.