Submitted by walscaro on Thu, 10/14/2021 - 11:18
Creamy, hearty and comforting soup for two. Ready in under an hour!
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1⁄2 cup chopped onion
1⁄2 cup diced or grated carrot
2 1⁄2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup diced potato (fresh or frozen)
1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup (4 ounces) cooked and diced chicken
1⁄2 cup low-fat or nonfat milk
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
1⁄4 teaspoon red wine vinegar (optional)
pepper to taste (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a medium saucepan, sauté onion and carrot on medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, potato, thyme, garlic powder and salt. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer until the potatoes are soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, stir flour and milk together in a small dish.
- Add chicken to the saucepan and stir 1 to 2 minutes until heated through.
- Slowly add milk mixture and stir as the soup thickens. Boil gently for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Before serving, add vinegar and pepper, if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute the diced carrot with any combination of carrot, celery, pepper or leek.
- Substitute other vegetables such as corn or broccoli for half of the potatoes.