Submitted by Jennifer Pettit on Tue, 04/04/2017 - 15:51
A creamy blend of root vegetables mashed and flavored with sour cream and garlic.
½ pound turnips, peeled and diced
1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
¼ cup light sour cream or buttermilk (see Notes)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Boil turnips and potatoes in enough water to cover until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain vegetables and mash.
- Stir in sour cream, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try with parsnips instead of turnips.
- No buttermilk? Place 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in measuring cup and fill to the 1 cup line with milk. Stir and let set to thicken slightly.
- Try adding chopped and sautéed turnip greens in step 3.