1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
¼ cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 cups bite-sized diced potatoes
2 cups low-sodium broth (any type)
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 ½ cups 1% or nonfat milk, divided
¾ cup (3 ounces) cheddar cheese, shredded
1 Tablespoon bacon bits or 1 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté onions and celery in oil until onions are clear.
- Add the potatoes, broth and pepper. Bring to a boil and stir, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and ¼ cup of milk until smooth. Add remaining milk (1¼ cups). Stir into the potato mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened and heated through, about 5 minutes. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Top with bacon bits. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
From my team of volunteers: a little bland (x2). Yum! Delicious (x2)!
Really quick and easy soup! And amazingly low calorie for a creamy/cheesy/potato soup! We all put a tad of low-fat sour cream, some added chili sauce, some a sprinkle of ground beef, and some diced veggie sausage. So it ended up being a really "at the table" flexible dish which is always great! Oh, and next time i want to try blending it before serving for a smooth soup, just as another option.
This is one of my favorite soups. It's so quick and tastes really creamy!
Since reduced-fat cheese is sometimes more difficult to find and more expensive, we have revised the recipe to use slightly less regular cheddar cheese.
The Food Hero Team
My family made this the other night. It's such an easy and tasty recipe. We didn't have celery so we used carrots instead and everyone loved it!
I made this recipe for my family last night and it was a hit with everyone in the house! THAT does not happen often! I will add, a couple of us had to triple the pepper and add a dash of salt.