I made this barley lentil soup and added some quinoa and more veggies corn, potatoes, peas, green beans and zucchini. Delisioso!!!
- No broth? Use 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon dissolved in 1 cup water for each cup of broth.
- Use any fresh, frozen, or canned vegetables you have on hand.
- No basil, oregano or thyme? Try chopped cilantro.
- Pearl barley is high in fiber but is not a whole grain. If using whole grain barley (also called hulled barley), it may take longer for the barley to soften.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large sauce pan or soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and stir for about 1 minute. Add garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a light simmer. Place a lid on the pan.
- Cook until the barley and lentils are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.