1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups chopped asparagus (fresh or frozen)
1 large potato, peeled and diced
3 cups low-sodium broth (any type) or water
1 can (15 ounces) cream-style corn
1 cup peas (frozen or canned, drained and rinsed)
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon pepper (optional)
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat (300 degrees F in an electric skillet). Cook onion, asparagus and potato until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and corn. Cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add peas, salt and pepper, if desired, and simmer 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Top with cheese and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be homemade, canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Leave skin on potato for added fiber.
- Try using fresh or frozen broccoli instead of asparagus.
- Try using canned green beans or diced tomatoes instead of peas.