Submitted by walscaro on Tue, 04/16/2019 - 14:09
Warm spices of cumin, turmeric, and ginger combined with hearty potatoes and fresh veggies.
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon diced fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon cumin
2 cups chopped mixed vegetables (try cauliflower, peppers, carrots or peas)
1 large potato, diced
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups water
1 can (15.5 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees F in an electric skillet).
- Add onion, ginger, turmeric and cumin, and stir while cooking for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For added flavor and texture, add ½ cup raisins or diced apples with the vegetables.
- Try using brown rice instead of white rice. Increase the water to 3 cups and the simmering time to 45 minutes.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.