Submitted by walscaro on Mon, 11/18/2019 - 15:55
A hearty and flavorful chili with lean ground turkey, filling beans, and lots of spices!
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 pound lean ground turkey (15% fat)
⅔ cup chopped onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
½ cup chopped green pepper (about 1 small pepper)
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 ounces ) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (16 ounces) pumpkin
1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 can (15 ounces) low-sodium broth
½ cup water
2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 package taco seasoning mix (1.25 ounces)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add ground turkey, onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Cook and stir, breaking meat apart until it is brown and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the beans, pumpkin, tomatoes, broth, water, brown sugar and taco seasoning.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, then cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be made at home, purchased in a can or box, or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube of bouillon.
- Use leftover turkey cut in bite-size pieces instead of ground turkey. Sauté the vegetables, then add the turkey with the other ingredients.
- No Taco Seasoning? Mix together 1 Tablespoon chili powder and 1 teaspoon each cumin and oregano. Add some red pepper flakes if you like it spicier.