Submitted by ckbrown on Wed, 04/01/2020 - 11:52
Hearty oats, creamy cheese, and fresh veggies make this a filling and tasty way to add more oats to your meals.
½ cup 1% or nonfat milk
1 ½ cups low-sodium broth (any flavor)
½ cup steel cut oats
⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup chopped green onion
½ cup chopped tomatoes
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine milk and broth in a medium saucepan over high heat. Heat until mixture starts to boil.
- Stir in oats and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. Oats should be tender and cooked through.
- Stir in cheese and green onion. Top with tomatoes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- No steel cut oats? Use old fashioned rolled oats. Use ½ cup less broth and cook for 15 minutes.