½ cup nonfat or 1% milk
1 ½ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
½ cup steel cut oats
⅓ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
¼ cup green onion, diced
½ cup tomatoes, diced
1. Combine milk and broth in a medium saucepan over high heat. Heat until mixture starts to boil.
2. Stir in oats and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. Oats should be tender and cooked through.
3. Stir in cheese and green onion. Top with tomatoes.
4. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- No steel cut oats? Use old fashioned rolled oats. Use ½ cup less broth and cook for 15 minutes.
Sherman Extension used this in the fall of 2019 as part of an afterschool teen cooking class for youth at Sherman School. The teens were highly suspicous of the recipe, as they were used to "sweet" not savory oatmeal. However, when it was cooking, they started sniffing and making comments like "that smells good". Upon sampling, one of the boys pronounced it "awesome, like rice-a-roni" and finished off the whole pan AND took home a copy of the recipe!