3 cups water
1 cup steel cut oats
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add oats.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir a few times while cooking.
- Turn off heat and let stand for 2 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Topping ideas: fresh, frozen or dried fruit; milk or yogurt; chopped nuts or seeds; cinnamon or other spices. Savory toppings include chopped vegetables and grated cheese.
- For even creamier steel cut oats, stir in more water and cook a few minutes longer.
- Cooked oats can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.