VideoCooking for a Crowd
Cooking for a Crowd
Use these recipe sheets to prepare for larger groups:
2 medium potatoes (about 5x2½-inches each)
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
¾ cup salsa
1 cup corn (canned and drained, frozen, or fresh cooked)
½ cup shredded cheese (try cheddar, pepper jack, or Mexican blend)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Scrub potatoes well. Poke each potato with a fork 2 or 3 times. Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes, turn potatoes over, and microwave another 3 to 5 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine beans, salsa and corn. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Cut potatoes in half length-wise and flatten with a fork. Divide bean mixture between the four halves. Sprinkle with cheese and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try kidney or pinto beans instead of black beans.
- Add leftover cooked chicken, turkey or ground beef.
- Topping ideas: chopped cilantro, hot sauce, avocado, black olives, green onion, cooked meat or tofu, plain low-fat yogurt or sour cream.
As an adult, I love all the ingredients in this recipe, but it's a little intimidating for kids...so much STUFF piled on top of the potatoes. We just prepared this as part of a kids cooking daycamp featuring Food Hero recipes. The kids enjoyed using the microwave for cooking. I asked them all to take at least one bite "as is" so they could do the Kid's Tasting Survey, so they did. Most of the kids liked them, especially with kid-friendly cheese melted on top.
Three cheers to the kids for tasting even though it looked a little intimidating! It might look more 'kid firendly' if the servings sizes were smaller or the potatoes were flattened a little more so they spread out more to hold the toppings. Kids are more likely to taste foods they help make.
The Food Hero Team
I love how simple this recipe is. I made this with a green salad for dinner!
Super quick weeknight dinner! Since not everyone in our family likes the same ingredients we let everyone top their potato with whatever they want! Which makes it extra fun having everyone "cook their own"