½ pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
½ cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 ½ cups spaghetti sauce
1 cup water
8 ounces wide noodles (about 8 noodles)
1 package (10 ounce) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 ½ cups (12 ounces) low-fat cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Stir ground beef, onion, and garlic together in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet) until meat is browned.
- Add spaghetti sauce and water to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Add uncooked noodles in 2 layers and stir around to cover the top with sauce. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the spinach to remove liquid and stir into the noodle mixture. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon cottage cheese over the top. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Cover and simmer 5 to 10 minutes until the lasagna is heated through and the noodles are tender.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add fresh or canned (drained) sliced mushrooms.
- Try whole wheat pasta to increase fiber and make this a whole grain meal.
- Try pasta in a different shape.
Made this recipe with two Adult Living classes today. Each group used a different shape of pasta. The students agreed; they all really liked this recipe!