Submitted by blooman on Tue, 08/11/2020 - 11:24
Sweet and tender onions are great for adding to other recipes including dips, pizzas, pastas, and topping meats.
1 medium onion, sliced or chopped
1 teaspoon vegetable oil, margarine or butter
- Heat oil in a wide bottomed skillet or pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped or sliced onion and cook, stirring frequently, until desired softness and color are reached. Reduce the heat as needed to prevent burning.
- 3 to 5 minutes – onions will be crisp-tender and a clear white
- Longer cooking will start to brown the onions. They will become softer and sweeter.
- Cooking for a long time (30 minutes or more) at a lower heat will turn onions a rich golden brown.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- When sauteing more than one onion, avoid crowding them in the pan.