Made this recipe for a pantry demo where they had lots of cabbage and potatoes. Prepared the recipe ahead of time, refrigerated it, then reheated in a skillet at the pantry. The wonderful smells made everyone want to taste it, and it was a total hit! Will be making this at home.
Red Potato and Cabbage (Colcannon)
- Scrub potatoes but do not peel. Cut into quarters. Cook in boiling water or steam until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, heat butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until it becomes clear, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage begins to brown, about 4-6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add milk, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until cabbage is tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes. Add cabbage mixture to potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or large fork to reach desired texture. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Made this recipe a couple of years ago. I got it from the Spanish version calendar, so had to translate some items while I was cooking! It is super-delicious and hearty, and great on a cold winter night...like tonight.