Plant Part Salad
6 cups leaves, such as lettuce, spinach, chard
1 cup roots, such as beets, carrots, radishes
2 cups flowers, such as broccoli, cauliflower
1 cup stems, such as celery, broccoli stems, chard stems
2 cups fruit, such as apple, tomato, cucumber
1/4 cup seeds, such as sunflower seed kernels, peas, beans
2 to 4 Tablespoons fruit juice or vinegar, such as lemon juice, orange juice or apple cider vinegar
2 to 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 clove of garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano or basil (optional)
1 teaspoon prepared mustard (optional)
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse tender fruits and vegetables under running water. Scrub firm vegetables with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Lay on towels and pat dry.
- Tear leaves into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Cut or grate roots, flowers, stems and fruit into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl. Sprinkle seeds over the top.
- In a small bowl or jar with a tight-fitting lid, mix or shake together dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss lightly.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- If using frozen vegetables, cook according to package directions or to 165 degrees F.