I love making kale salads. This is a great base recipe. I would also suggest a variety of vegetables that go great with this salad like roasted butternut squash, or sweet potatoes, avocado, dried fruit, and other types of seeds and nuts. The honey mustard dressing is great on kale salad too. The sweetness of the honey helps "mask" the bitterness of the kale leaves. I also love this recipe because you can make ahead and serve all week for dinner or lunches. The leaves don't get wilted even when you add the dressing.
- To soften the kale and improve the flavor, rub the torn leaves together until the kale becomes dark green and fragrant, about 3 to 5 minutes, OR prepare the salad a day ahead and refrigerate.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place kale in a large bowl. Chop fruit if pieces are large and add to the kale.
- In a small bowl, combine fruit juice, oil, salt, pepper and sunflower seeds, if desired. Mix well.
- Add dressing to the kale and fruit and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.