I made this recipe for a potluck (with mint) and it was well received. Then I made it again for home (with parsley) and added a can of rinsed and drained garbanzo beans. This works great as a side with grilled meat/fish/poultry or as a main dish salad. Leftovers made for a tasty and satisfying lunch.
1 ½ cups broth, chicken or vegetable
1 cup bulgur
1 cup cut grapes (half or quarters)
⅓ cup minced onion
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves or parsley
1 small orange, peeled and diced or 3/4 cup (one 11-ounce can) mandarin oranges, drained
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat broth to boiling, stir in bulgur and turn off heat. Cover and set aside for 25 minutes.
- Remove the cover and fluff the bulgur with a fork. Let cool at least 5 minutes.
- Stir in grapes, onion, mint and orange.
- In a small bowl or jar with a tight lid, mix or shake together the dressing ingredients. Pour over bulgur mixture and toss well. Chill until ready to serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.