4 cups frozen fruit (try your favorite or a mix - peaches, berries, pineapple)
1 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
3 Tablespoons sugar
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine frozen fruit, yogurt and sugar in a blender or food processor. Blend until creamy, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Freeze or refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- To use canned fruit, drain, chop and freeze until firm before blending.
- If leftovers are stored in the freezer, the mixture will be very firm. Scrape into serving bowls with a spoon or freeze the leftovers in frozen treat molds.
Just made this with kids for a youth cooking daycamp featuring OSU Food Hero recipes. Problem: when you dump frozen fruit on top of cold yogurt, nothing will blend. We ended up adding milk. Maybe modify recipe to "set fruit out to partially thaw before adding to blender"
This recipe is meant to be thick - like soft frozen ice cream you would eat with a spoon. It does take a little more time to blend but adding milk or other liquid will make more of a drinkable consistency. Some blenders may do a better job than others. You might try adding the fruit in a couple batches so the blender wouldn't have to work quite so hard. And don't be tempted to double the recipe.
The Food Hero Team