We did a few cafeteria tastings with this recipe last week. I made a small batch for myself with brown rice due to a gluten issue, and it was really tasty. To my surprise, the elementary students also really liked the recipe. I had a few suggest using apples in it for some extra crunch, which I agree would be really good. We used sunflower seeds to avoid any nut allergies, but I think with walnuts, it would be even better.
Brussels Sprouts, Cranberry and Bulgur Salad
- Cover bulgur with boiling water and let stand until soft, about 30 minutes. Pour off any excess water.
- Rinse and trim Brussels sprouts. Cut in half lengthwise then slice crosswise into thin strips.
- In a large bowl combine bulgur, Brussels sprout strips, cranberries and nuts.
- In a small bowl or jar with a lid, combine orange juice, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix or shake well. Pour dressing over salad and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.