Fresh tomatoes and herbs combined with crunchy croutons make the perfect summer salad.
3 cups chopped tomatoes (try Roma or halved cherry tomatoes)
½ cup chopped red onion
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups croutons
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, basil, salt, pepper, vinegar and oil in a bowl.
- Stir croutons into the salad and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Photo and recipe adapted from Nutrition Matters.
- Make croutons from dried bread, rolls or hamburger buns or cube and toast bread in the oven.
I made this salad during the summer, some of the kiddos I teach weren't sold on it because it is mostly tomato and raw onion which they weren't crazy about. I thought it was amazing and have made it several times since! I use the croutons more as a topping because if I stir them in then want to save it for later I just have soggy bread next time I go to eat it.
May Mom use to make one like this except she used just the tomato juice and put bacon in it. An then served it with mayo or sandwich spread.
This is a fun easy to make summer recipe. I think a good addition to this recipe would be to add notes on how to make croutons from older bread.