1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ cup finely chopped onion
1 ½ teaspoons minced peeled ginger
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1 clove garlic, minced or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 to 2 Tablespoons minced jalpeño pepper
1 ½ teaspoon tomato paste
2 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
¼ cup white vinegar
1 to 2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir the onion a few times as it cooks.
- Add ginger, turmeric, allspice, garlic and jalapeño. Stir for about 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste. Stir for about 1 minute.
- Add mashed bananas, vinegar, brown sugar and soy sauce. Simmer for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens a little.
- Scrape the sauce into a container, cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
- Use as a dip with vegetables or as a condiment with cooked meat, beans, tofu, vegetables or grains.
- Thin with a little water to use as a salad dressing.
- Try with Food Hero Eggplant Omelet (Tortang Talong)