Submitted by Green Trees (not verified) on Fri, 12/01/2017 - 03:43
Warm and comforting whole wheat bread in about an hour.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk (see Notes)
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine both flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, oil and brown sugar. Be sure sugar has no lumps.
- Add liquids to flour mixture. Stir together until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and smooth into corners.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Top should look golden brown.
- Cool slightly and remove from pan. Slice with a serrated knife.
- Wrap leftovers and store at room temperature.
- No buttermilk? Add enough milk to 2 Tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar to make 2 cups. Stir well and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup raisins and 1 Tablespoon cinnamon for a tasty breakfast bread.
- You can make this bread in a 8½x4½-inch bread pan. Bake for about 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.