My family and I love this recipe and its incredibly fast to cook, plus always leaves some leftovers! My 6 year old calls it ABC soup becaue we use ABC noodles. We have some non-meat eaters in the house so sometimes we add leftover ground beef to the serving bowls. For the soup we do not cook it with meat but add 2 more cups of beans or veg to sub. Our family also likes a sprinkle of cheese on top and some add hot sauce.
- One large ear of corn makes about 1 cup of cut corn.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- Broth can be made at home, purchased in a can or box, or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
1 pound lean ground meat (15% fat) (turkey, chicken or beef)
1 cup diced onion
½ cup sliced celery
1 cup sliced or diced carrots
1 ½ cups sliced or chopped cabbage
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans (15 ounces each) diced or chopped tomatoes with liquid
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (15 ounces) cut green beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup whole kernel corn (frozen, fresh or canned, drained and rinsed)
2 cups low-sodium broth
1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon basil
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup small macaroni (optional)
- In a skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet), cook the ground meat until browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain any fat and put in a large saucepan (see Notes).
- In the same skillet, sauté the onion, celery, and carrots until limp but not brown. Add to the saucepan.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.