Submitted by tierrabonita on Thu, 08/06/2015 - 14:53
Colorful bell peppers filled with ground turkey, fresh vegetables, and delicious Italian flavors.
1 cup cooked rice (white or brown)
3 bell peppers (green, red, or yellow)
10 ounces ground turkey
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (or basil and oregano leaves)
1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
½ cup chopped onion (any type)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 chopped zucchini (about 1 cup)
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the rice or prepare instant rice according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the peppers in half from top to bottom. Remove the stem and seeds. Place pepper halves with cut sides up into a baking dish large enough to hold all.
- In a large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees F in an electric skillet), cook the turkey until no longer pink. Add seasonings during last few minutes.
- Add onion, mushrooms and zucchini to the skillet. Add a small amount of water or oil, if needed, to keep mixture from sticking. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
- Mix in the tomatoes and rice. Remove from heat.
- Fill the pepper halves with the skillet mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until peppers are tender when poked with a fork.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try chicken, beef or pork instead of turkey.
- Add a sprinkle of cheese near the end of the baking time.
- If there is extra filling, try it in a wrap for another meal.
- No basil or oregano? Try chopped cilantro or other herbs.