Cook time: 30 to 45 minutes
Makes: 2 1/2 to 3 cups
Nutrition Facts: View label
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cloves garlic, whole or chopped (optional)
2 Tablespoons fresh herbs or 2 teaspoons dried herbs (optional)
2 pounds tomatoes, stems removed
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 to 400 degrees F.
- Drizzle oil on the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle salt and pepper into the dish along with garlic and herbs if desired.
- Cut tomatoes in half and put in baking dish with cut side down.
- Bake tomatoes until soft and the peels start to brown, about 30 to 45 minutes. Cook longer if you want to remove more liquid.
- Add to recipes in place of canned tomatoes, or chop and serve as a chunky sauce or blend to a smooth sauce.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours or freeze for 8 to 12 months.